Monday, March 22, 2010

India Vignette #4: Food

I'm not exactly sure what this woman is making...curd or paneer? She was using a wooden whisk type of tool to agitate the liquid (milk?) inside the earthenware container. I need to do a bit of research on this!

Here I am trying my hand at rolling out roti under the watchful eye of our host's kitchen helper in Ahmedabad. I didn't succeed in rolling out a very round and symmetrical roti--for that I would have had to start at about age 4 and continue for several years!






Here's a fellow making Jalebi. I was tempted to try it but decided not to. Later that day, at the Vishala a Gujarati Crafts Village Complex just outside of Ahmedabad, we got some on our plates at dinner. It's sweet and rich.



Here's a view of my dinner plate that day...served on a stitched bamboo leaf plate which is biodegradable. This is what was commonly used for dinnerware in years gone by.




When we walked through the bazaar in the old city of Ahmedabad, there were spice merchants with mounds of spices for sale.




Finally, we enjoyed a snack of an "Indian burger" on the street--probably the best veggie burger I've ever had. I wish I could replicate it here at home.
























1 comment:

  1. Hello Janet, back in Canada myself now and reading your fascinating view of the tour Vicky and I created. I was very pleased with how it went and am happy you and Wendy had the oppurtunity to participate in such a unique experience. If any of your viewers are interested in coming on a tour next year, please have them contact me at y2logan@gmail.com. The photos are great!

    ReplyDelete